It’s already a month into 2017, but I thought this post was important to publish late than not at all. Last week, I published an article about my thoughts on gaming in 2016. Several weeks before that, I published an article about my experience last year completing The 52 Challenge. To complete the transition into 2017, I thought it was important and necessary to write a post about my gaming goals for this year.
I believe in the power of writing things down. I believe that when you take the time to put something to paper that gives it power and motivates you to stick with your goals. That’s how I got through two years of saving to build a high end gaming PC. I finally got the money together and have already purchased most of the parts. That goal will be completed by the end of February. A lot of people make New Year’s Resolutions but most people don’t stick with them. Writing them down is the first step to getting them done. So here’s what I’m committed to accomplishing in 2017.
- Finish Toukiden Kiwami (PS4)
- This is an action RPG from Koei Tecmo. It was released for the PS4 as an enhanced version of the original PSP game from 2013. This is an excellent game that I purchased in a flash sale and started some time last year. Because of a number of different factors I got really far into it but then ended up not finishing it. That changes this year. I’m finally beating this game.
- Final Fantasy 7 (PS4)
- Full disclosure: I’ve never played FF7. My first and still favorite Final Fantasy is FFX and I’ve beaten every one released since then, but I’ve never played FF7. Yes I realize this is a criminal offense and I mean to pay for my crime this year.
- Infamous Second Son and First Light (PS4)
- I bought Second Son for $20 back in 2015 when I first got my PS4. Still haven’t had time to play it. Then I got First Light several months later from PS+. This year I’m gonna put the time aside to finish both back to back.
- Xenoblade Chronicles X (Wii U)
- I’ve never played any of the Xeno games, but my friend couldn’t stop talking about how good Xenoblade Chronicles X was. I got it on Black Friday back in 2015 and still haven’t tried it. I’m just tired of looking at it unplayed on my shelf so this year I’ll have to get to it.
- Super Mario Maker (Wii U)
- I bought SMM back in 2015 because everyone did. I honestly loved the concept but had little actual interest in a Mario game where I had to build my own levels or trust other people who aren’t professionals to make them for me. I don’t consider myself creative enough to be a great level builder. The only reason I bought this game was because I’m an avid Mario supporter and I buy all the console release games in the franchise. Just want to get to it this year so I can cross it off the list.
- Yoshi’s Wooly World (Wii U)
- I bought Wooly World back in 2015 and even sprung for the Yoshi amiibo. I hate amiibo and I never buy them. To this day it’s the only one I own. I only bought it because my girlfriend wanted it with the game. I would have bought the game either way because I like the yarn games from Nintendo. Kirby’s Epic Yarn was tons of fun. Still haven’t gotten to this one because I wanted to co-op it with my girlfriend but I’m tired of waiting so I’m just gonna solo it and make use of that amiibo I paid way too much money for.
- Bloodborne (PS4)
- I’m an avid souls fan going all the way back to Demon’s Souls. I was never not going to buy Bloodborne. I just hadn’t had time to play it before this year. I actually already started it like the first week of January and I’m steadily making my way through it. I’ve loved it every step of the way and I’m glad I finally got to it.
- Dark Souls III (PS4)
- Pretty obvious that I was gonna buy this if you read #7. Once I finish Bloodborne I’ll take a break with some other genres and then jump into this one.
- Platinum Ratchet and Clank (PS4)
- Every year I make sure to get at least one platinum trophy and have since I first got my PS3. Along with that tradition I have always made it a point to platinum all the Ratchet & Clank games. If you look at my PSN profile you will see that I’ve platinumed all the trophy generation games in the franchise except All4One because it’s a shameful excuse for a R&C and I refused to buy it after playing the demo. I actually tried it again today on a friend’s console and it’s just as bad as I remember. The newest R&C came out last year and I decided to make it this year’s platinum. I’ve already started it and have been streaming it on my Twitch channel. You can check it out here.
- Build a PC
- I first decided to build a PC in 2014. Before that I had wanted to do it but was always afraid to. Many of my friends had told me to do it, but I didn’t really see the need as a predominantly console gamer. What finally motivated me to make the decision was when I tried to play The Witcher 2 on my laptop. My laptop is a piece of junk Sony Vaio from 2010. A friend recommended The Witcher 1 & 2 during a sale on GOG. I reluctantly bought them and played 1. One of the best gaming decisions I’ve ever made. Tried to play 2 but my craptop wouldn’t run it. That was the exact moment I decided to build a PC. I’ve been saving for more than two years but I finally have the money and I’ll be building it soon. Hopefully I’ll have it done before March.
- The Witcher 2 (PC)
- See #10.
- Finish The Last Guardian (PS4) with my Girlfriend
- I have waited 10 years for The Last Guardian to be released. Finally they got it out in 2016, two generations later than they should have. My girlfriend got me the collector’s edition and we’ve been playing it together. Not sure how much longer it is but I’m glad I’m finally getting to play it.
If I can get all of this done I’ll consider it a good year. It’s a lot of RPGs and open worlds and I’m a busy man. But I beat 52 games last year so I’m confident that I can get it done. Some of these games have already been started as well. If by some miracle I can get all this done there’s a few extras I’d love to get to this year as well. Probably won’t make it to these but one can dream.
- Uncharted 4
- Rise of the Tomb Raider
- Finish the Talos Principle
- Mighty No. 9
What are your gaming goals for 2017? Let me know in the comments.